Sunday, February 27, 2011

Surfacing Slowly- Compelling Blurb?

Just when i think I'm finished the book I wake up with a phenomenal idea for a twist at the ending. Should i take a week and rewrite everything on the chance that it will be as good as it sounded at 8am when i opened my eyes? I think so. I'll let the idea sit all day and see if it congeals. No risk no gain right?
Yesterday i entered a blog contest with my 200 word blurb on Surfacing Slowly in hopes of it getting chosen amongst 37 to be read by an agent. Wait. What? I forget who but somebody might chose it for something and i have to say that if my generous friend and critique partner Christine didn't post all these opportunities, i'd just be picking my nose over here. To inform us of the contest when she knows it dilutes her chances is the ultimate in generosity.
Just now I sent my blurb in to her future agent (cross fingers), Jill Marsal. She has a contest to choose one amongst 30 and if mine is in the first thirty blurbs, I get it looked at. Needless to say i've been polishing my blurb until the shine is blinding. But is the story compelling enough? You decide...


Would you read it?
Tina Alton’s husband, Hank, is presumed dead from a Hawaiian surfing accident but without a body, hope won't die. Gory hallucinations have the Maui scuba shop owner terrified of the ocean as her dive business perches on the brink of bankruptcy. When portentous life-like dreams blur the edges of reality, Tina fears sleepwalking at best and insanity at worst.
Jamey Dunn arrives from Afghanistan where he’s part of a secretive paranormal unit in which he visits prisoners’ dreams for military information. A near fatal jump has depleted his ability and he’s on Maui to recharge. An ex lover, Jamey feels partly responsible for Tina’s anguish but she won’t let him close enough to help. Both her domineering parents and an ill-intentioned friend, Noble, insist she leave Maui to recuperate in Seattle and when Tina’s resolve disintegrates Jamey kicks into action. He resurrects his dream jumping skills to enter Tina’s precognitive dreams and together they dive the perilous caves of Hawaii in search of Hank’s body. But what they uncover about Hank’s nasty past and Jamey’s real reason for leaving her ten years earlier has Tina questioning all she knew to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment