Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Birthmothers and Adoption

If you've ever met me you know i'm a fierce advocat of adoption. If you've ever met my daughter Ila, you know adopting internationally is the bomb!
Last weekend I finally dug deep into my bravery reserves and opened the files i've kept for 9 years on all the heartbreaking opportunities we had to adopt in 2001 and 2002. There were 40 situations that came our way, some not interested in us and some thought we were the perfect family for their baby to be. One even had me fly to Texas from Seattle several times and finally for the birth, only to take the baby from me three days later. For years i've thought of making these emails into a book with two sections. The first would be the search in the United States for a birthmother, the second, my journey to Taiwan.
Point is, now that i've finished writing my third novel and am only working on submissions these days, I'm going to finally put this book together and submit my proposal to non-fiction agents. Maybe that is my way in to this world of publishing, but more importantly, i want to compile this story and send it out there for anyone who wonders what it's like to adopt. Of course i did it the hard way by not involving an adoption agency, wanting to find the baby myself and this made the process more lengthy in some ways but more rewarding in others.
What do you think? Would you read a book about the birthmothers in America who considered us and my fantastic voyage to Taiwan where i fostered a baby for five months, waiting to hear if she would be mine?

No comments:

Post a Comment